Parade of Tailgates



Last weekend, Stan and I were in San Antonio, Texas for a wedding. It happened to be St. Patrick's Day and we were down on the Riverwalk where the party was going on. There was all kinds of fun from beer gardens to cloggers to bagpipers, but I must say the most hysterical of all was what they were calling a St. Patrick's Day water 'parade', which rolls on through the river that cuts through downtown.

First, they dye the water green. Very cool. That certainly brought on the excitement and expectation of much to come. The first float had a bunch of men in plaid skirts playing the bagpipes loud and clear. Of course. Very cool. Totally what we would expect in a parade.

But as the anticipation built for what might follow these lovely pipers, it proved to be bit disappointing. The remaining boats were simply of bunch of party barges, with adults dressed in green and advertising either a bar or a singing group, which I never heard actually sing. As in the photo, they were all holding books and drinks, but at least in the long stretch that passed me by, I didn't hear a single note come from their mouths. Note the guy holding the red cup, he looks like the subject of one of those pictures where you circle what doesn't belong.

The entire parade consisted of about six barges of what looked to me like a bunch of tourists that might have jumped on and grabbed a nice cold one from the mobile keg. All dressed for the occasion, but the requirement to be on the float was clearly to have the ability to 'smile and wave.'

I guess I just expected something different. I mean, San Antonio is a huge city. I certainly had it in my head that we would be viewing a glorious water display with bells and whistles and who knows, maybe even a flying Leprechaun. Our own Bigfork parade kicks that one in the pants big time.

But if you enjoy a good party to celebrate this particularly fun green day, the bars and gardens were full of fun-loving folk. So, I'd give San Antonio a thumbs up for St. Patrick's Day destination. Just don't give up your barstool for the parade.

0 comments:

Post a Comment